Skip to main content

Why the World Matters

 


HUG THE EARTH


Walking along feeling free 

Feeling the Earth here with me 

And I love her. She loves me 

I hug the Earth, the Earth hugs me. 

She's our friend, 

We'd like to be together forever. 

The Earth is our garden 

It's a beautiful place 

For all living creatures 

For all the human race, 

Helping Mother Earth 

We can peacefully roam, 

We all deserve a place 

We can call our home. 

Food is a treasure from soil and the sea. 

Clean fresh air from the plants and the trees 

The warmth of the sun giving life each day 

Turns water into rain, it’s nature's way. 

And I would like to thank you, Mother Earth, 

I like to see you dressed in green and blue  

I want to be by you.


Lorraine Bayes


My Thoughts: 

I really enjoyed reading this poem and it was very heartfelt to me. It made me realize just how important the Earth is. We must take care of the Earth and make sure that nothing happens to it. After all, it is our home. We live in a beautiful world and we must learn to appreciate it. Despite all the negative aspects of the world "we all deserve a place we can call our home" (lines 13-14). I would integrate this poem in my classroom during the week of Earth Day and have my students interpret what it means/why it is so important to care for the Earth. 


Innovative Ways to Teach Geography: 

Idea 12 - 60 second films

    I really like the idea of this concept to teach geography. What students have to do is summarize a concept they are learning about at the time as a 60 second film. This will not only develop their understanding of the concept, but also their creativity. This idea can be a lot of fun for students because for example, they can act as if they are creating a real broadcast for the news.

Idea 33 - Become a poet

    I like this idea because it also allows students to show their creative side by looking at related images at the start of a topic on a PowerPoint and write down what comes to mind. It also allows students to use their imagination and produce a poem that says whatever they want it to.

Idea 51a - Landscape in a box

    I think that this idea is super creative and I would most definitely use it in my future classroom. Again, it allows students to get creative and present what they made to other students. It is a very crafty, hands-on mini project. I would have loved to create this myself back in elementary school. 

“Geographic skills provide the necessary tools and techniques for learners to think geographically.”

Geography Internet Resource:

Geography for Kids

  • I chose this geography resource because it contains a lot of important information and facts about geography such as, what it studies as well as its origins and meaning. It is also interactive because it contains a short, fun quiz to test your knowledge.

(Google Slides Presentation Link Unavailable)


Chapter 13 Digital Report - Teaching Geography
  • Essential Question: What are the innovative ways of teaching geography?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brrr...Icebreaker Time!

 Fieldwork Group 1: The Globetrotters   Miss Maria, Miss Danielle, Miss Mary, Miss Kayla, & Miss Allison It's the beginning of fieldwork and I can't wait! Today, all 5 groups were able to introduce ourselves and play unique icebreaker games with the 4th grade students to get to know them better. After all, it is extremely important to get to know your students before teaching them! All of the students seemed to have a fun time playing each group's game and it was great to interact with them for the very first time.  For my group, we created a game where a wheel was spun with each 4th grader's name on it. Whichever name it landed on was the one who answered the question at that time. After a name was chosen, a question was chosen after. Some of the questions that were asked were: - Sweet or Salty? - Do you have any siblings? - Dogs or Cats? My group did not have enough time to let every student answer a question due to timing, which made some students upset, but the

Making History Come Alive

Engage: I have never seen the painting pictured above before now. Although I do not how whose paintings these are and the history of them, I can guess that they represent important people throughout history. I believe that the first painting is a man standing in a court room standing up for something he believes in while the people around him stare in awe. I think that the second one is some sort of religious representation as the lady with white hair is holding her hands together in a praying position with her eyes closed and the lady next to her is holding a rosary. The third picture looks like a family that is about to eat dinner while the mother/cook serves the food on the table. The last painting I believe is a mother and father tucking their child into bed. I am sure that all of these paintings have some sort of important historical significance and I would love to learn more about them. Explore: Making History Alive Using technology in the classroom can make lessons more interes