Skip to main content

A Trip Around the World

World Geography Treasure Hunt 


For this assignment I was responsible for using the World Atlas to search the answers to questions regarding our world. Some of the questions included:

1. What is the current population? (7.9 billion)

2. What is the largest and smallest country? (Russia & Vatican City)

4. What is the oldest and youngest country? (Iran & South Sudan)

After completing the questions about our world, I was surprised at how little information I knew! I knew very few answers to the questions that were asked. Therefore, I made a lot of knew discoveries. One of the discoveries that I found to be most surprising was for question #10: What is the most popular native language? The answer is Chinese and there are 1.3 billion speakers! This answer blew me away. At first, I guessed English, but English is not even #2. It is #3 with a whopping 370 million speakers.

After I answered all the questions about our world, I had to answer some questions about my world. Some of these questions included:

1. Where were my clothes made? (China)

2. Where was my cell phone manufactured? (China)

3. Where did my ancestors come from? (Sicily, Italy)

These questions were a lot easier for me to answer because I knew a lot of the answers already. However, I found it interesting that my car was made in Japan -- I guessed China.

The next part of this Treasure Hunt was to use the National Geographic interactive online map to answer a total of 15 questions. To me, these questions were a bit harder and I hardly knew any of them. I was surprised by a lot of the answers, but I gained a lot of knew knowledge from exploring the online map. 

I really enjoyed completing this World Geography Treasure Hunt because I was able to learn a lot of knew information about the world that I had no known previously. I would use this activity in my future classroom so that students could learn more about our world. 


Create Your Own Country

The Create Your Own Country activity is very creative. The goal of it is for students to use their mapping skills by designing their own country by creating a map. The first thing that students have to do is create a folder with the two sides in, so that the map is the first thing people see when the folder is opened. Then, they have to create a map of their new country with all the required elements. Some of the things the students need to include are:

1. Countries

2. Capitals

3. Boundaries

4. Compasses

5. Landforms (rivers, mountains, deserts & islands)

6. Scales


Example of template for folder


The next thing the students have to do it make up a name for their new country and create a flag to go along with it. Lastly, they have to make sure to include some information about their new country such as, the population, ethnic groups that live there, unemployment rate and more.

I would incorporate this activity in my future classroom as well because it allows kids to get creative and use their imagination. It would also allow them to have a little bit of fun. I could even have students work in groups of 3 or 4 for this activity. After they completed the activity I would have them put it on display and share with the rest of the class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Z vs. Gen Alpha

In last weeks Social Studies Methods class we talked all about the Digital Generation. To be more clear, we discussed Generation Z and Generation Alpha. I am apart of Generation Z which ranges from the years 1995-2009, whereas Generation Alpha ranges from the years 2010-2024. Before I start talking all about that, I want to begin with the fun activity that we began class with, which is known as a "brain-break." A brain-break is exactly what is sounds like: a break from whatever you are focusing on at the time. They are proven to show real benefits that include a reduction of anxiety, stress, and frustration. The brain-break that my class and I participated in was an acrostic of our names from the letters A-Z. A picture of mine can be found below! As you can see, my name is Danielle. So, for example some of the words I chose to describe myself were "dedicated," "empathetic," and "funny." I would say that these words describe me pretty well and oth...

Is Social Media Ruining Our Lives?

  When I look at this cartoon I cannot help but think how social media is ruining not only the lives of children, but everyone else in the world too. It has slowly taken over everything as it has so much power to consume every aspect of our lives. Another idea that comes to mind when I look at this poster is the fact that the teacher has little to no knowledge of social media. If you are going to be a teacher in this generation, it is important to be caught up on all the new fancy technology out there especially because it is just going to keep getting better and better. The use of technology must be made aware in the classroom, not only for the students but for the teacher as well. This way, the  teacher will be able to engage with the students in a more meaningful way. There are many useful tools and websites out there that can be extremely helpful when it comes to engaging students technologically. 

Why the World Matters

  HUG THE EARTH Walking along feeling free  Feeling the Earth here with me  And I love her. She loves me  I hug the Earth, the Earth hugs me.  She's our friend,  We'd like to be together forever.  The Earth is our garden  It's a beautiful place  For all living creatures  For all the human race,  Helping Mother Earth  We can peacefully roam,  We all deserve a place  We can call our home.  Food is a treasure from soil and the sea.  Clean fresh air from the plants and the trees  The warmth of the sun giving life each day  Turns water into rain, it’s nature's way.  And I would like to thank you, Mother Earth,  I like to see you dressed in green and blue   I want to be by you. Lorraine Bayes My Thoughts:  I really enjoyed reading this poem and it was very heartfelt to me. It made me realize just how important the Earth is. We must take care of the Earth and make sure that n...