Skip to main content

A Trip Around the World

World Geography Treasure Hunt 


For this assignment I was responsible for using the World Atlas to search the answers to questions regarding our world. Some of the questions included:

1. What is the current population? (7.9 billion)

2. What is the largest and smallest country? (Russia & Vatican City)

4. What is the oldest and youngest country? (Iran & South Sudan)

After completing the questions about our world, I was surprised at how little information I knew! I knew very few answers to the questions that were asked. Therefore, I made a lot of knew discoveries. One of the discoveries that I found to be most surprising was for question #10: What is the most popular native language? The answer is Chinese and there are 1.3 billion speakers! This answer blew me away. At first, I guessed English, but English is not even #2. It is #3 with a whopping 370 million speakers.

After I answered all the questions about our world, I had to answer some questions about my world. Some of these questions included:

1. Where were my clothes made? (China)

2. Where was my cell phone manufactured? (China)

3. Where did my ancestors come from? (Sicily, Italy)

These questions were a lot easier for me to answer because I knew a lot of the answers already. However, I found it interesting that my car was made in Japan -- I guessed China.

The next part of this Treasure Hunt was to use the National Geographic interactive online map to answer a total of 15 questions. To me, these questions were a bit harder and I hardly knew any of them. I was surprised by a lot of the answers, but I gained a lot of knew knowledge from exploring the online map. 

I really enjoyed completing this World Geography Treasure Hunt because I was able to learn a lot of knew information about the world that I had no known previously. I would use this activity in my future classroom so that students could learn more about our world. 


Create Your Own Country

The Create Your Own Country activity is very creative. The goal of it is for students to use their mapping skills by designing their own country by creating a map. The first thing that students have to do is create a folder with the two sides in, so that the map is the first thing people see when the folder is opened. Then, they have to create a map of their new country with all the required elements. Some of the things the students need to include are:

1. Countries

2. Capitals

3. Boundaries

4. Compasses

5. Landforms (rivers, mountains, deserts & islands)

6. Scales


Example of template for folder


The next thing the students have to do it make up a name for their new country and create a flag to go along with it. Lastly, they have to make sure to include some information about their new country such as, the population, ethnic groups that live there, unemployment rate and more.

I would incorporate this activity in my future classroom as well because it allows kids to get creative and use their imagination. It would also allow them to have a little bit of fun. I could even have students work in groups of 3 or 4 for this activity. After they completed the activity I would have them put it on display and share with the rest of the class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brrr...Icebreaker Time!

 Fieldwork Group 1: The Globetrotters   Miss Maria, Miss Danielle, Miss Mary, Miss Kayla, & Miss Allison It's the beginning of fieldwork and I can't wait! Today, all 5 groups were able to introduce ourselves and play unique icebreaker games with the 4th grade students to get to know them better. After all, it is extremely important to get to know your students before teaching them! All of the students seemed to have a fun time playing each group's game and it was great to interact with them for the very first time.  For my group, we created a game where a wheel was spun with each 4th grader's name on it. Whichever name it landed on was the one who answered the question at that time. After a name was chosen, a question was chosen after. Some of the questions that were asked were: - Sweet or Salty? - Do you have any siblings? - Dogs or Cats? My group did not have enough time to let every student answer a question due to timing, which made some students upset, but the

Models, Strategies, or Methods...Which one?

Models, strategies, and methods all play an important role in the lives of educators as well as their classrooms. However, they are not all the same thing. Although they do share some similarities, they also have many differences. To begin, models represent the broadest level of instructional practices and present a philosophical orientation to instruction. They are used to select and structure teaching the strategies, skills, and methods for a particular instructional emphasis. Within each instructional model, there are several different types of strategies. Strategies determine the approach a teacher may take in order to achieve learning objectives. Strategies can be broken down into five subcategories: direct, indirect, interactive, experiential, and independent. Methods are the most direct way of creating learning environments and specifying the nature of the activity in which the teacher/learner will be involved during the lesson to achieve the educational goal at hand. Some metho

Making History Come Alive

Engage: I have never seen the painting pictured above before now. Although I do not how whose paintings these are and the history of them, I can guess that they represent important people throughout history. I believe that the first painting is a man standing in a court room standing up for something he believes in while the people around him stare in awe. I think that the second one is some sort of religious representation as the lady with white hair is holding her hands together in a praying position with her eyes closed and the lady next to her is holding a rosary. The third picture looks like a family that is about to eat dinner while the mother/cook serves the food on the table. The last painting I believe is a mother and father tucking their child into bed. I am sure that all of these paintings have some sort of important historical significance and I would love to learn more about them. Explore: Making History Alive Using technology in the classroom can make lessons more interes